Sunday, September 19, 2010

Who I am because of who He is.

I was driving home from church tonight thinking of this writing that I had from awhile back.
Sometimes we forget that we are children of God.

There He sits, in the morning with the newspaper and coffee. “Bye, Father!” I say, as I hurry out the door.

“Return to me, daughter” He whispers out to me from behind the paper.


I go through my day not thinking about Him, but knowing who I am because of who He is. Deadlines, weary conversations, life, busyness, failure, success, fear, the mundane, the unique....all things that pile on to my day. It turns to dark and I head back home. Walking in the door, I see Him sitting on the couch reading a good book. I put down my bag, take off my coat and shoes, and run to the couch and lay my head against my Father’s chest. We say nothing, but I let Him hold me. Moments pass, he turns a page, and I begin to rest.


And when I return to Him, all else fades.... deadlines, failure, success, fear, and life...


Some days I need Him to say nothing, to just let me lean against his chest.

Some days I need to curl up on His lap and bury my head.

Some days I need Him to put down his book and smile at me.

Some days He meets me at the door, takes my belongings and hugs me.

Some days He finds me unable to get out my car. He peeks out the window looking for me.

Some days I ignore Him, go into my bedroom, slam the door and crank the music.


I know who I am because of who He is.

He is our Father.

And we are His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment