Today--Good day. Long day. Tough day. Fun day.
Good day-
Today was the first day I felt like things were “back to normal.” H2H started with an open house, TUB had band practice, and last minute things were coming together for the service and AYhigh this weekend. I even crossed everything off my list... well all but “write sermon for this weekend.” But this is even normal. I wait until Friday mornings for that.
Long day-
12 hour work days happen on Sundays normally, but today was another 12 hour day. And it was a long one. I didn’t fall asleep last night until almost 2am and woke up at 8:30. This morning as I drove into work I was overwhelmed by the amount of things that needed to be completed. And they weren’t easy tasks. They took time. But as I sit here at the end of my day, I’m thankful for the energy God gave me to complete what I needed to do.
Tough day-
I smell like coffee. Why? The espresso machine in the coffee shop decided it was going to have issues. And so I spent nearly 2 hours cleaning the machine. And now I smell like coffee. As I was cleaning I started asking myself questions like: why is a youth director cleaning the espresso machine? I have no skills in the kitchen, why am I doing this? And then, before students showed up to hang out, I remember a moment thinking... “I love this. I love my job.” And I’m going to be transparent here...it’s been awhile since I’ve been able to say that. And so tough day, but grateful day.
Fun day-
Once students started showing up today, I was reminded again why I love working with youth and why God has called me to work with these high school students. I love being in the middle of cleaning something, or working on a project, or sending an email and a student comes barging in my office saying “GUESS WHAT?” or “OMG YOU AREN’T GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED!!” I love being able to listen to students and share my opinion. I enjoy being able to connect with students and hopefully connect them to God.
I will say that everyone has their moments. Moments of asking questions like “Is it worth it to do what God calls me to do?” There are mood swings and moments of frustration. There are times when we are brought to tears for good things and bad things. There are moments when we let the busy work get in the way and there are moments when we remember why we do what we do.
Today I heard God in the good, in the long, in the tough, and in the fun.
There will be days that are good. There will be days that are long. There will even be days that are tough and hopefully mostly days that are fun.
This morning I was nearly frozen with the things I needed to complete. I asked God to move in and take over. To give me strength and to work through me. To allow me to do His agenda and not mine.
Was it worth it to get up and move forward? Yes.
I pray you have days that you’ll be able to look back and see how God pulls you through.
It’s never by our strength. Only by His.
No comments:
Post a Comment