Thursday, September 2, 2010

Post Twelve: "Is it Worth It?"

My mom and I were looking at pictures on my phone today. There were several from my trip to Colorado at the beginning of the summer. I spent three glorious weeks in the Rocky Mountains.


Well, 3 weeks minus 20 hours.

My friend Kara and I took a last minute road trip from Colorado to Salt Lake City, Utah to go to.... In-N-Out Burger. Yep. We drove 7 hours for a hamburger. My mom couldn’t believe it. “Why would you drive 7 hours just for a hamburger?” For anyone who has ever been to an In-N-Out, you know it’s not “just any old hamburger.” It’s an experience. It’s life changing.


Kara and I planned to spend a day hiking in the Rockies but the trail we were going to do was closed. We realized this the day before our adventure...and so this is how the next few texts went....





















Sometimes you gotta take a spontaneous trip to tell a better story. And a better story it was. It was a life goal to play Ticket to Ride at an In-N-Out. DONE. It was a scenic drive through the west side of Colorado, through the continental divide, passing crested buttes (or as I called them, crusted butts), and then through some Utah mountains. A state that I thought only had In-N-Out Burgers and Mormons had some beautiful mountains. Or at least I think they were beautiful. It was dark and there were no interstate lights. But anyway...back to telling a better story.


Here’s what I remember about our crazy 20 hour trip:

-Separating the good Jelly Belly’s from the bad ones

-Leaving Colorado and entering Utah

-David Crowder

-Pre-dinner meal

-Dinner

-Three games of Ticket to Ride

-Deciding who was Mormon and who wasn’t

-Driving in the middle of the night listening to Tenth Avenue North

-Seeing the sunrise over the Rockies on the way home

-Getting dropped off at home and into bed at 7am and getting a text soon after from Kara...

“Kinda hungry, wanna get In-N-Out again?”

My response... “We can get there by lunchtime.”


Epic spontaneous adventures. Is it Worth it?


Absolutely. It makes the hard days easier. Especially when you can look back and tell others about the better story you’re living.


Kara and I with our pre-dinners!




No comments:

Post a Comment