Today we have a "guest blogger." I have asked Kat, one of our high school students, to write today. I'm always amazed by depth of heart that our students have, the inquisitive drive to find answers to the tough questions, and to seek to live out faith that is real.
Here's a bit of Kat's heart. I hope you feel encouraged to take some time off, say no, and live in the love of God.
I’m the type of person who lives to serve others. It’s just who I am. I rarely say no to people when they ask me to do things. Mainly because 1) I don’t like to disappoint people. 2) I don’t want to miss out on anything.
However… I do hit a breaking point. Many, actually. Sometimes I get by with a relatively small meltdown… and other times I’ve been known to start crying uncontrollably and lock myself in my room. You know, typical teenage girl stuff, right?
For a long time this was my normal. During the day, I’d be this person everyone wanted me to be- the girl who’s nice to everyone, the girl who gets good grades. the girl who never turns down an opportunity to help others. At night, I’d cry myself to sleep wishing I could just skip school the next day and sleep for hours, curl up in a ball in front of the TV, a bowl of ice cream in hand, and just watch Project Runway. I felt sad and alone, but no one could know. I couldn’t disappoint anyone.
People have always told me- “It’s okay to say no!” “Take time for yourself!” but I never really listened. This past year I grew sick of everything- trying to be perfect, hiding my problems, having my imminent and uncontrollable breakdowns. One night on the mission trip, I just broke down. I couldn’t take it anymore. After talking with Amber and some friends, I finally gave God all of my pressures and problems… and you know what? I haven’t had a breakdown since. I haven’t felt alone since. I have just been a happier and more genuine person.
Taking time for myself also means taking time for God. I’m taking time to journal and let my feelings out, subsequently writing more songs. When I journal, I’m writing letters to God, songs about my feelings and worries. I’m spending more time in His word, making Him the center of my attention, even at school. I’ve joined Yoga Club to physically relax my mind, and not worry about earthly things. I’ve quit some activities that I once loved, but now just add to my stressors. I’ve stopped worrying about participating in things because they will look good on my college resume, or because others expect me to… but I am learning to say YES with a full heart, participating because I want to, not because I have to.
So my question is: “Is it worth it to take time for yourself?”
And my answer is, a thousand times YES.
If you don’t take time for yourself, you aren’t taking time for God. It’s not selfish, it’s necessary.
However… I do hit a breaking point. Many, actually. Sometimes I get by with a relatively small meltdown… and other times I’ve been known to start crying uncontrollably and lock myself in my room. You know, typical teenage girl stuff, right?
For a long time this was my normal. During the day, I’d be this person everyone wanted me to be- the girl who’s nice to everyone, the girl who gets good grades. the girl who never turns down an opportunity to help others. At night, I’d cry myself to sleep wishing I could just skip school the next day and sleep for hours, curl up in a ball in front of the TV, a bowl of ice cream in hand, and just watch Project Runway. I felt sad and alone, but no one could know. I couldn’t disappoint anyone.
People have always told me- “It’s okay to say no!” “Take time for yourself!” but I never really listened. This past year I grew sick of everything- trying to be perfect, hiding my problems, having my imminent and uncontrollable breakdowns. One night on the mission trip, I just broke down. I couldn’t take it anymore. After talking with Amber and some friends, I finally gave God all of my pressures and problems… and you know what? I haven’t had a breakdown since. I haven’t felt alone since. I have just been a happier and more genuine person.
Taking time for myself also means taking time for God. I’m taking time to journal and let my feelings out, subsequently writing more songs. When I journal, I’m writing letters to God, songs about my feelings and worries. I’m spending more time in His word, making Him the center of my attention, even at school. I’ve joined Yoga Club to physically relax my mind, and not worry about earthly things. I’ve quit some activities that I once loved, but now just add to my stressors. I’ve stopped worrying about participating in things because they will look good on my college resume, or because others expect me to… but I am learning to say YES with a full heart, participating because I want to, not because I have to.
So my question is: “Is it worth it to take time for yourself?”
And my answer is, a thousand times YES.
If you don’t take time for yourself, you aren’t taking time for God. It’s not selfish, it’s necessary.
No comments:
Post a Comment