Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas "Letter" Blog Edition (#2)




Here is a continuation of my "Christmas letter" blog edition. See previous post if you are lost.

This year also brought a lot of newness.

Here’s a top 10 of the new things in my life:
Storage Units.
Construction language.
Preaching.
Sitcom-Living.
The Office.
Ticket to Ride.
Cooking.
Youth Ministry dream.
Simple Living.
Concert Rehab.

1. Storage Units—My stuff lived in a storage unit for 40 days this summer. I was semi-homeless, and it was the best experience ever. I got to hang with some of my favorite people and learn a little bit about family life through Valerie, Ken, Brooke, and Jill. During that time, I was going through a few life changes and learning a lot about my relationship with God.

2. Construction language--- I was on the building committee for our church, as we completed a 7 million dollar project that included a new worship space, youth center, preschool rooms, and office wing. I learned construction language, figured out how to read blueprints, and learned the “inside stuff” of building projects. It was so cool to learn each piece of the puzzle. Every day brought new challenges and issues. From picking the right color carpet to coffee shop fixtures, to pleading with the general contractor to cover our concrete so the workers don’t mess up our stained floors. I argued with big wigs and prayed aloud in front of smoking, cussing construction workers. I brought them donuts and coffee, candy bars and cokes! I even shot down CEO’s and construction managers who wanted to change my plans. Keeping my eyes on the prize and never backing down, the youth space was completed. I’ve learned to not be afraid to go after what you want. And if another construction worker gives me crap because I’m a girl, you better watch out. I’ll kick’em to the curb in my Chuck Taylors. Needless to say, the “newness” here involved sticking up for what’s right. I even wore a dress to the opening weekend of our space. J

3. Preaching--- We began a new service at our church, led by Pr. Mark and myself. It’s purpose is to involve youth to use their gifts and talents to worship Christ and share it with others. I have started sharing the message during the service on an ever other week-ish basis. It’s been tougher than I thought, but I love the experience. I am growing in my own faith as I take on trying to figure out how to teach the truth to our people. This is an area that I hope to work on in 2009. I want to preach in a way so that Jesus doesn’t leave the room.

4. Sitcom-Living--- At the end of the summer I moved in to the Northern Seminary campus in Lombard with 2 new friends! I literally met Rachael and like 4 minutes later we were talking about moving in! Carrie and I met earlier in the summer and got to hang out in Michigan together where I also met 2 of my new guy friends (Mike and Adam) who live a floor above us. Phil also lives with the guys upstairs, and Dan lives just down the hall. We have become good friends and spend time together watching The Office, hanging out, playing old school Nintendo, and cooking together(see more about that in #7). I say “sitcom living” because one of my favorite shows is “Friends.” We kind of function like the characters of Friends, without the drama. The great thing about this living situation is that we are Christians. Its great to be surrounded by believers who are trying to figure out life. It’s cool that we can figure it all out together. I truly see God’s love through community.

5. The Office---My new TV obsession has become “The Office.” Since moving out of my old place, I no longer have a DVR. My television watching has almost completely stopped, which is a VERY good thing. I only watch Heroes and The Office now, and I’m proud of that! Every Thursday, a few of us get together and watch The Office. This past spring, I caught up on all the seasons. Jim is my favorite, with his pranks on Dwight and his constant silly looks at the camera. A few of the high schoolers and I played an Office prank on Pr. Mark. We put all of his office supplies in the vending machine including his checkbook and pictures of his children. It was amazing. (that’s what she said.)

6. Ticket To Ride--- I have reclaimed my love for games. This year my friends Dan and Lucy started a game night once a month. I always seem to lose, but it’s been a lot of fun. My new favorite game is Ticket To Ride. Play it!! So great! I love any chance I can get to play this game, or Phase 10, or Phase 20, or Apples to Apples, or Settlers, or Puerto Rico, or Uno (well maybe not Uno).

7. Cooking--- I am not a cook, but this fall I have learned to take on new challenges with cooking. It’s “Cooking with Amber” at it’s finest (or worst). We have started community dinners at the seminary amongst the friends. It’s been really fun to try new recipes. We haven’t had a disaster yet! It’s a great time to connect and talk about life, as well as work on my cooking skills!

8. Youth Ministry dream--- On August 23rd, our church opened a new youth center. It’s a huge dream come true. I really can’t say more than that. I hope God is honored and worshiped in that space and that lives are “ruined” by Christ in that space. Then, it will be a dream completed.

9. Simple Living--- A running theme this year has been “keep it simple.” I’ve been trying to figure out the line between nothing and everything. I see the poorest of poor have faith and joy and at the same time seen the richest of the rich with complacency and numbness. There is no need for Jesus among the rich, and nothing but a need for Jesus with the poor. I’m trying to figure this out and what it means for my rich life. Out of the blessings that I’ve been given, how can I have “eyes to see” the needs around me? I’m hoping that this unsettling piece of newness continues to grow in me in 2009. It’s hard to explain all the things that are going on in my brain (and heart) with this topic, but I’m sure it will be a blog sometime later.

10. Concert Rehab--- Yes, concert rehab is a new thing for me this year. I’ve never really needed it until now. My concert attendance has been pretty normal over the past few years, but this year it was OUT OF CONTROL. I saw 32 bands this summer, and 30 this fall. I haven’t counted last spring, but it involved one AMAZING Family Force 5 concert in which I danced on stage with the band (and was called a “cool mom.”) Ugh. Anyway, we went to the Ichthus Music Festival with my high school students. That was close to a concert overdose. My new favorite band this year is Robbie Seay. Second new favorite band—Needtobreathe (epic storm during “Washed by the Water” at Ichthus!).

So, there is my 10 “new things” of 2008. There were plenty more, but none as worthy as these above. It has been an incredible year. There’s no other way to put it.




It was SERIOUSLY RIDICULOUS.



My theme blogs for my Christmas letter are not complete. Keep checking back for new updates as I continue to review my year.

“When time and space are through


I'll be found in You


You make all things new”

“Shadowfeet” by Brooke Fraser

1 comment:

  1. yay for sitcom living and community dinners...oh, and for all those other things too. :)

    miss you.

    ReplyDelete