2. When you are watching a movie alone.
3. When you are sick.
4. When you are walking in a park. (when do I ever walk in a park, this one is dumb)
5. When you can't carry your groceries to the house in one trip.
6. When you go to Hallmark to buy cards and have to pass the husband/wife section.
7. When you see a buy one get one deal pretty much anywhere.
8. When you get invited to a couples game night.
9. When you don't get invited to a couples game night.
10. When you go to a wedding.
11. When you go to a funeral.
12. When you need someone to hold your purse. (I hardly carry a purse, but ya know...)
13. When you see roses on sale.
14. When your mom is #1 on speed dial.
15. When you see clothes on the right side of the Old Navy and want to shop for a guy.
16. When you just want someone to talk to.
17. When you want someone to miss you.
Ok, enough of that... Here's what I'm learning.
Community rocks. And I cherish my friends. They make being single ok.
And if you don't learn to live in community with others while being single, you will loose all your community when you are no longer single. (ok, maybe not all) I have seen friend after friend get married and fall off the face of the earth. Yes, it happens to some degree that now your attention is directed towards the one you are in a relationship with, however, I think it is so important to remain in relation with those around you as well. (can you tell I'm a bit bitter?)
I have also experienced people who think that life doesn't start until they get married. So sad! Life began when you were born, duh! I think I will be a better non-single person someday because of the experiences I've had in the last (shhhhhhh) 12 years of single-hood. Yes, I've been single since I was 16.
Oh crap, now that I'm 29, that means I've been single for 13 years.
And no, I don't have the gift of singleness. I'm pretty sure of that one.
Um, so anyway, this blog is so weird and random.
Thanks to all of my friends who make up my community.
My community of friends is way better than having only one guy who is always around and leaves his dirty clothes on the floor and calls me baby. (ewww..).
Hey, feel free to buy me stuff on the right side of Old Navy. ;)
ReplyDeleteBut you're totally right - if you're not living in community before a relationship, kiss the chance goodbye afterwards. I guess we've all seen that time and time again.