“Sometimes we’re living in the middle of loss and gain.”
This phrase popped up in my little brain on the way to a camp meeting. And I thought, I wonder what that means, why did this pop in my head, and why did I feel the need to write it down and remember it?
As we began our meeting to plan summer camp, Heather, the co-director started by reading a letter. She informed us that she was leaving camp to be a part of a new career. She spoke of being sad about leaving the camp but excited about where God was taking her in her next journey. She was “living in the middle of loss and gain.” I knew then that the phrase was for her and shared it with her after our meeting. It was as if she knew exactly what I meant.
But yet, aren’t we all living in the middle of loss and gain? Sometimes the loss is big, sometimes small. Sometimes the gain is big and sometimes it’s barely visible.
We can all think of things, even this week, that we could consider a loss or a gain. We can think of tiny tragedies over this past year or decade that come to mind, and we can rejoice in the triumphs of gain we’ve had too. But there are daily losses and gains as well. When I start to compare myself to others, I’m reminded right away of what I’ve gained or lost.
There is a weird connection between loss and gain that reminds me of God’s redemption. Grace is like this, right? I mean, God’s redemption always has a sense of loss and gain. Grace reminds of what we gain. Redemption means loss is happening because there is something to gain. It reminds me that this world is always going to be a loss when we compare it to heaven. There is a lot to gain when we let go of what the world considers loss.
There is much to gain when we stop comparing ourselves to others, to the world, to twitter feeds and blog stats. There’s a lot to gain when we feel the loss of relationships gone wrong, when dreams are not yet fulfilled, or ever get fulfilled. It’s hard to see the gain when we’re living in the middle of loss. But it’s there. Somewhere buried below the pit of loss. If we could just keep digging we’ll find it. It’s there.
It’s hard to think about what we gain from what has been lost. There are times when we don’t have gain from loss, sometimes it’s just loss, loss, loss. I think those moments happen to all of us at some point in our lives. But it’s when we are living in the loss that we MUST search for the gain. I am not in this place right now, but I know a few people who are. Hope comes when we’re able to get up, and find the gain. Whether from searching for a new job, a new counselor, taking yourself on a date and buying a new pair of really expensive shoes, or simply finding a new outlook.
I’m living in the middle of loss and gain. And while neither of which are big, extravagant, or sad things, they are my things. They are my tiny tragedies and triumphs. They are Amber sized losses and Amber sized gains. But the middle is where I want to be. It keeps me grounded, the losses just enough to know that this world is not my home, gains enough to remind me that I’m worth it. The middle is where I find perspective.
I’ve just started to do a study on the book of Isaiah. I’m super excited to read about God’s redemption following these people who lived in the middle of loss and gain, and how at the end of the day “gain” is not of this world, but through redemption and grace.
I think the point is to be sure that whether the scale tips “gain” in our favor, or tips “loss”, we must continue to stand firm in our faith. Isaiah 7:9 reminds us “If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.” I think that it’s easy to get stuck in the loss or get jaded by the “gain.” May we be people who do not waiver our love for God based on where the scales tip. May we live in the middle of loss and gain in a way that is honoring to God, in a spirit of thanksgiving, in the hope that God is in control..
And so today, Thanksgiving, may we remember the loss and gain of life, to be thankful for the journey that God has us on. To be thankful for the tiny tragedies and the triumphs, for the big gains and even for the large losses.
May we thank God and beg Him to keep us in the middle.
True. I like it.
ReplyDelete