It’s always a special moment when I get to learn motherly things from women who I admire and children who I adore.
I was mistaken for a mom of a high school senior a few weeks ago. I had taken two of our students on a college visit, and the professor assumed I was mom. And after I cried for a minute wondering if I looked old enough to have an 18 year old child, I then began to laugh about it. I told my “daughter” that I wouldn’t be able to afford this college on my church salary, and we’d have to talk to her father about paying for this. She called me mom and we had a good laugh. But I did feel a sense of pride and responsibility for these two students who I’ve seen grow in incredible ways in the past several years. I’m sad to see them graduate soon and starting a new chapter of life. I feel a sense of hope that I’ve taught them what God would have wanted me to. I suppose mothers always have hope that they are teaching their children good morals and values.
One of my former students (Kendra) is at college about an hour away. Kendra’s been having a rough transition into college and I went to pick her up for a weekend away. It was great reconnecting with her. She was a huge help for our lock in. Kendra babysat for several families while she was a student in our ministry and one of the girls wanted to go with us as we drove her back to school. So Jorie and I took Kendra back on Monday morning. As we dropped her off I couldn’t help but feel what a mom feels when leaving them in their dorm to face the world at school. We said goodbye quickly as I could sense the tears coming for both of us. It was that sense of happiness as she is learning to do life on her own and at the same time sadness that we were leaving her there alone. There’s nothing more that a mother wants than to protect her child from sadness, fear, and loneliness. I pray that Kendra finds her niche. I know she will.
Jorie and I continued our trek back home, stopping at Chick-Fil-A (of course). I indulged her request for a milkshake, making note that she had to share it with me. She agreed and we sat outside to eat, and talk. On the way home she talked non-stop. It was great. I just listened. And asked questions. And for a moment, I realized these are the times that moms love, getting a chance to just listen to the random thoughts and stories that children have. Jorie doesn’t talk much, so this was a huge gift. And I was thankful.
I am not a mom. But I’m learning what it’s like to love like one because I know the love of my Heavenly Father....and because I get motherly moments. For those, I am grateful.
There are many women in my life who have shown me the good, the bad, the blessing, and the stress of being a mom. I’m thankful for their example and I hope that someday I’m able to be just like them.
I think of Valerie, Annette, Jane, Kim, Katy, Andrea, Tabby, Ginger, Cathy, and Tammy, who I’ve seen be great mothers. I’ve also seen them as strong women who love God and are seeking to figure out how to do life, be mothers and wives, have hobbies and still manage to get their hair to look perfect.
A few words that describe these women:
Valerie- loving and hospitable
Annette- passionate and servant heart
Jane- strong and focused
Kim- caring and funny
Katy- smart and can laugh at herself (and children)
Andrea- determined and hopeful
Tabby- others-focused
Ginger- true to her word and a great listener
Cathy- open home and open heart
Tammy- ministry focused and family focused
***P.S. There are MANY other women I can think of for sure! I'm so thankful that there are so many women to celebrate!!
So, today I celebrate moms. I am thankful for my mom and for all the women in my life who have shown me how to be a mom, wife, and someone who seeks God.
Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment