Friday, October 29, 2010

World, I've Overcome You

The other day a 9 year old sealed my legacy...


She was with her grandma driving past a Starbucks and said “Grandma, I bet Amber is there, because she LOVES coffee.”


My legacy... via a 9 year old.


I can’t help but think of what our legacy will be. In the past few weeks I’ve had so many conversations about death. About people who’s loved ones, friends, and classmates have passed away. Two students from our local high school, a grandpa of a church family, a best friend of a dad, a brother of a friend.


The common thread in all of the conversations I’ve had comes the qualities and memories of the loved ones passed. A remembrance of their legacy, of who they were and what they stood for.

It makes me wonder what we’re living for. It makes me think about the fact that God created us to worship him. And will I be remembered for that? Will our legacy be filled with temporary, earthly loves or mostly about how we lived for Jesus?


I don’t know about you, but I find it hard to have a balance between the temporary and the eternal. Ya know? I love Apple products, music, coffee, Facebook, and Jimmy Johns (I’m hungry).


But, at the end of the day, if I really think about it, these temporary things are just that... temporary. They do not fulfill me. I’m always looking for the next big thing or the better upgrade, or the newest song.


And so I’ve been stuck. Stuck in the inbetween of balancing the temporary with the eternal. Stuck in the idea that my legacy is wrapped up in things like singleness, meaningless facebook statuses, and Starbucks. So, I’m working on changing that legacy. While I don’t think it’s bad, I’ll try really hard to make it more about Jesus and His grace through my life, rather than of the goal for temporary things.


John Mark McMillan has a line that I can’t seem to get out of my head.. “World, I’ve overcome you.” This is from his song “Ten Thousand.” I think about songs like this that remind me that really at the end of life, I’d love to be able to say that I’ve overcome the world, it’s temporary fixes, and lived a life that honored God and loved people.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, death. It keeps coming up.

    Last night a classmate eulogized a couple long-time friends and mentors for a solid 5 minutes, unsolicited. I thought, "How amazing would it be to have someone stop their life, to talk about me? To talk about what God had done through me?" That would be incredible.

    And you'd appreciate this: My roommate asks at least 4/7 days, "So, did you go to Starbucks today?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan. I miss your face. Thanks for the comment.
    Let's write together from Starbucks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has totally been on my mind the past few weeks-- loved it. And Ten Thousand is such a great song.... many car rides have been spent singing the chorus :)

    ReplyDelete