This past week I have felt the prayers of the people. There’s been many church members who are praying for Alleluia, the staff, and the congregation. I have felt those prayers. And I am thankful. There have been several scripture passages, song lyrics, book quotes, and conversations that have reminded me of God’s promises.
This morning I was reading and journaling about a few things this past week that I’ve been learning. Then these three words came to the forefront of my heart: busy, bitter, and but.
These are the excuses for life. We are too busy, too bitter, and we like to justify life with the word “but.”
Busy
I suffer from being too busy and at the same time too lazy. I know this sounds weird and that’s ok. I’m a weird person. But in all honesty, we might all be like this. Too busy at work and too lazy at home. Or perhaps it’s the opposite, too lazy at work and too busy at home. Either way it’s not good. We are not called to be either. In fact, scripture tells us that lazy is sinful. But then again, so is busy.
Perhaps we are busy with things that aren’t from God. I don’t think we were meant to be so busy that we do nothing well. I think the devil is in the busy work. I really do. I also think the devil lives in the copy room at my church. But I digress... I think the devil uses busyness against us. Is it possible for our own selfish desires of looking busy or acting busy, or honestly being busy to get in the way of ministry? Absolutely.
Bitter
I’ve heard it say that we can choose to be bitter or better. I have been bitter. I think I’m over it. In fact, I know I am better now. I was bitter a few months ago. I can tell the difference now because I see other people’s bitterness about the things that were holding me then. I think bitterness gets us nowhere. Better gets us somewhere. We can do something with “better.” We can go nowhere with bitter. There are times when I think our bitterness really stems from our self worth and whether or not we are being validated. It’s rarely about the actual issue at hand, it’s usually rooted in some other issue. I think bitterness is only a chance for us to hold on to things we have no control over. It seeps down into the depths of who we are and it lives there, stews there, only to grow and take us over. Better assume that we are moving forward, striving towards healing, focusing on what might be something worthy of praise. How would our lives look differently if Jesus was bitter? Jesus was better. Even on the cross. He looked with eyes of love rather of revenge. Bitter suggests that something has hurt us so badly that we have nothing but anger and frustration towards it. In bitterness there is no room for forgiveness. When we are better, we can forgive, we can let go.
Let me be clear here for a moment. There are things that cause bitterness. I do think we need to deal with those “things” but we cannot allow the hurt, pain, anger to turn to bitterness. We have to find healthy ways for us to deal with the issue at hand and allow it to change us for better...not for bitter.
But
There are two different kinds of “buts.” There’s the kind that allows complacency, and there’s the kind that gives life.
Someone on twitter wrote “complacency is sweatpants.” I laughed...and then I kinda cried because in fact, I was wearing sweatpants. I am confident that there is a time and place for sweatpants in my week, but for the most part, it’s not quite acceptable for me to wear them. Not to work. Or church. Or on a date. I’m quickly learning that in order to get a date, I can’t wear sweatpants to the grocery store. So that’s out too.
While I do think that “complacency is sweatpants” I also think “complacency is but.” When we say “but” we justify our actions, our choices, our morals, and the acceptance of others.
Here’s a few complacency buts....
“I should go to the gym today BUT I think I’ll stay at home and clean my house.”
“I shouldn’t get takeout tonight BUT I don’t know how to cook.”
“I should wear a dress today BUT I’d rather wear sweatpants.”
“I should call up that friend BUT I don’t want to say I’m sorry”
“But” has a way of getting us out of a lot of things that bring life. Since when did we trade life for complacency? Since when did we decide that our time and efforts are justified by our temporary whims?
BUT...
I am thankful for the “buts” in the Bible, for the “therefores.” I’m thankful that the buts of the Bible remind us that yes, while we are still sinners, Christ died for us.
We are sinners BUT Christ died for us.
“For the wages of sin is death, BUT the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus.” Romans 6:23
It’s the “but” that gives us life. It reminds us that God has a bigger plan for us, even bigger than our own complacent hearts and choices. God is bigger than our sweatpants of complacency.
I love how God comes full circle with his redemption. I love that He uses things like complacency and our “buts” to show us that His BUT is bigger, that his love heals, that his grace is available and active.
Want for something more than “busy.”
Want for something more than “bitter.”
Want for something more than “but.”
No comments:
Post a Comment