I woke up this morning thinking that today was a blog worthy day. I thought “I should write something. It’s been awhile since I’ve written anything worthy of sharing.”
Typically I start by reading something which sparks a thought, or reminds me of what I was thinking about on my drive home, or a conversation I had... or one I wanted to have. And then I write. Most of which is not worthy of ever being read by anyone...
And today there was not much. But, my heart attached to these few paragraphs in “Bittersweet” by Shauna Niequist. I’ve blogged about her book before and shared/stole/borrowed her words. Today is no different. I’ve been milking this book for quite awhile. It’s just one of those books I don’t want to finish, I mourn the end. It’s my coffee reading, not end-of-the-night-fall-asleep-to-it-reading. I save it for special days. And read slowly.
This connected today:
From the chapter “The Middle”
“You don’t know what the story is about when you’re in the middle of it. You think you do, but you don’t. You make up all kinds of possible story lines: this is about growing up. Or this is about living without fear. You can guess all you want, but you don’t know. All you can do is keep walking.”
“There is nothing worse than being in the middle. At the beginning, you have a little arrogance, loads of buoyancy. The journey, whatever it is, looks beautiful and bright, and you are filled with resolve and silver strength, sure that whatever the future holds, you will face it with optimism and chutzpah. It’s like the first day of school, and you’re wearing the outfit you laid out last night, backpack full of perfectly sharpened yellow pencils.”
“And then the end is beautiful. You are wiser, better, deeper. You know things you didn’t previously know, you’re shed things you previously clung to. The end is revelation, resolution, a soft place to land.”
Aren’t we always in the middle of something, at the end of something, at the beginning of something?
I tend to look at life in seasons, and this is another way of looking at where my life is right now. There are a few beginnings, a couple endings, but mostly I’m living in the middle.
I’m thankful for new beginnings, for things that tie up in a nice bow, and for the the things that keep me in the middle. I’m thankful for things that come to an ending, for the push to make new beginnings, for the wisdom that hopefully comes by living in the middle.
I love that God keeps us in all three at the same time.
Beginnings are like God’s grace....
Endings are a reminder that He’s in control...
The middle reminds us to trust in Him...
What in your life is beginning? What is ending? In what things are you living fully in the middle of?
No comments:
Post a Comment