Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chandeliers and Track Lighting: Check your reality at the door


In order to get inspired for writing today, I went with Andrea to a local coffee shop in downtown Breck. Imagine what you would find in a local coffee shop in the mountains and throw that out with your used coffee grounds.


The Crown seems like a cool joint, and perhaps my dashed expectations are the only thing that make this place weird, out of place, and just plain weird.

The Crown is a local coffee, ice cream, alcohol dive. Standing in line at the dark wood, stain glassed bar, the person in front of me orders two Coronas. Another orders a ham sandwich, another some chocolate milk, and me... I order a vanilla latte of course.


The Crown is a deli, bakery, a smoothie making joint.

Speaking of joint...

It’s now that Andrea and I look at each other and notice a smell. “Is that marijuana?”

No, it’s just that ham sandwich that’s burning in the back.


This place is confused. It’s a living identity crisis in the form of a coffee shop.


I’m sitting on a worn in dark green comfy chair next to a fireplace that holds a jeweled crown....the essence of this place. The crown itself is out of place, missing most of it’s jewels, gold, and has one fake diamond on the front. Classy.

Above the fireplace: A tiffany lamp. Across from the tiffany lamp: a chandelier and track lighting. Anyone else weirded out?

Why does everyone else in this place seem like this is normal? We are the only ones who seem to be put out by all the randomness?


Let’s not forget the christmas lights bordering the front door as you enter.

And near the back door I found a mutt. Sitting there waiting for scraps.


This place is like a dream.The longer we are here, the better it gets. I fully expect a clown to walk in and order a jack and coke with his biscotti.

Oh, but no.. a granola cowboy in tight jeans with an incredible mustache walks in instead.

This IS a dream. I keep taking pictures because I want to be able to look back and truly know that this place is real.

It’s magical. At this point it’s not hard to imagine a troll with spiky orange hair sitting on a lounge chair reading a self help book in the corner.


“Don’t stop believing” and other various 80’s songs play through the speakers on the painted stone wall.

I don’t want to stop believing in this place. Perhaps a hot guy with a pet unicorn will walk in and sweep me off my feet. And I’d be ok with that.


I’m refreshingly ok with this place. It’s a dream world that I’ll come to often, as long as I leave reality at the door.


And now.. “Eye of the Tiger” is playing... are you surprised?


No comments:

Post a Comment