Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

This weekend included: reading, writing, Starbucks, time with friends, music, church, lunch with students, and one crazy documentary.


Oh... and deciding to downsize in life. It’s become evident that I’m spending money on things that really don’t matter in this world. So, in an effort to find space and time and a bit more flexibility in my budget, I’m giving up a few things. All things, that if I’m honest, I don’t really need, or have the option of getting in other ways. I’m giving up my iPhone. Yep. I said it. Not sure how long it will last, and please don’t refer to this blog if I pick it back up in a year. It’s a chance to be disconnected, to save about $40 a month, and simply be ok with not having information at my disposal 24-7. I also gave up my gym membership. Ugh. This was hard (not nearly as hard as giving up my iphone). But, still. Let’s be honest. I have a free membership at my church gym, so giving up XSport really shouldn’t be that big of a deal. So, I’ll live. It’s all a start in trying to figure out how to better spend my time and money.


Anyway...

My intention this weekend was to spend as little cash as possible. And that was a success. And here’s where I thank Christine for the Starbucks card, Kate for the Smashburger giftcard, Valerie for the Dillon $, Kim for registering me for the 5K, and Desma for the granola bars and such. Community is where it’s at,people! I’m also grateful for the awesome conversations with Dan, Adam, and Desma. Good times! Great perspective. Amazing people.


I also did some reading. Here’s a highlight of what I’ve got bookmarks in.


The Bible- The striped book. Here’s a few verses that stuck out to me this weekend:

“What is important is faith expressing itself in love.” -Galatians 5:6

“You will always harvest what you plant.” -Galatians 6:7


Group Magazine- This is a Youth Worker magazine about how to deal/cope with working with teens. I’ve had the privilege of getting published in this magazine a few issues back and I picked it up this weekend and was encouraged by a few articles. The main article is “You Stink! Dealing with Criticism.”


“The Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett- This 1000 page novel will take me forever to finish, especially since I only read it at night before bed. I’m about 250 pages in. It’s about how church and state came together and the building of cathedrals. Seems boring. But I’m oddly intrigued.


“Disappointment with God” by Philip Yancey- I just started this book today. I’m about 50 pages in and I’m already learning. I’m sure it will be come it’s own blogpost soon. Stay tuned.


“Days of Deepening Friendship” by Vinita Hampton Wright- I’ve already read this book and came back to it this weekend. It provides amazing questions to ask yourself about faith, your soul, and your relationship with God. It sparked the start of good thoughts and spiritual direction.


“The Heart of the Story” by Randy Frazee- This book is a companion to The Story curriculum we will be doing at church. It’s a great personal devotion/starter to get focused on the topic for study. I’m exited to be digging deep in to The Story with our students and for my own spiritual walk.


Media:


I listened to some new tunes this weekend. Here’s a few I suggest from Noisetrade.com.

-The Hawk in Paris “His + Hers” EP from our friend Dan Haseltine of Jars of Clay

-“The Storm” by Elenowen

-“Come to Save Us” by Sons & Daughters


I also spent less time watching tv, but I did watch a documentary on HBO called “Catfish.” Talk about redemption, grace, and reality. Gosh. Just watch it... then let’s discuss it. I can’t say anything more than this. So good.


So, this was my weekend. I can’t say that every weekend is as epic, but I’m thankful for space, for friends, for time to connect, breathe, and an opportunity to launch head first into the fall.


How was your weekend? What is one thing you learned about yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment