Monday, March 21, 2011

Lent: Red Birds and Wildflowers

With its branches reaching up to my 5th floor apartment window, an old tree rests. This morning a red bird sat on one of the high branches in my eyesight.


While this may seem normal and forgettable to you, red birds remind me of my grandma. She loved red birds; they were all over her house. Not real one’s of course (she wasn’t Cinderella) but she had red bird plates, red bird pictures, red bird dust collectors, red bird beanie babies. Now, don’t get me wrong, she wasn’t obsessed but she had at least one red bird in each room. After she passed away, my aunt packed up her house, sold many items, and distributed her red birds to each of the family members. I still have my red bird, perched near a picture of my grandma and I the last time I saw her.


We all have relics. We all have little reminders that take us straight back to the past, something that moves our eyes to the rearview mirror. It’s not everyday, but many days when something or someone, a phrase or even a scent that reminds us of good days, of people, of happiness or even sadness.


Today I’m reminded of roots. I’m reminded to take things slowly, to appreciate the little gifts of reminders that God gives me. Today it was a red bird in a tree who sat for a few minutes and then flew off to dance with the wind.


But today, I’m also reminded of wildflowers.


Today as I continue my Lenten discipline (reading a devotional, connecting with scripture, and drawing) I landed on James 1. Here’s what stood out to me today:


“Prosperity is as short-lived as a wildflower, so don’t ever count on it. you know that as soon as the sun rises, pouring down its scorching heat, the flower withers. Its petals wilt and, before you know it, that beautiful face is a barren stem. Well, that’s a picture of the prosperous life. At the very moment everyone is looking on in admiration, it fades away to nothing. Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyalty in love with God, the rewards is life and more life.” -James 1 (Message Version)


Here’s my picture that I drew today based on this reading:


I drew myself watering the wildflower for a few reasons. James is using a wildflower to represent prosperity. Our own selfish prosperity will fade, and the only thing worthy of working towards is the prosperity of serving God and his will. I am watering this flower not of my own prosperity but out of service to God. It’s quite obvious that our church is going through a time of redirecting prosperity from an inward perspective to an outward, service oriented true love of God prosperity. I’ve seen us grow in many ways, and while some things have withered and fallen, we, as God’s people, can water the flower in hopes that He can redeem it and bring new life.


It’s the second part of that passage that reminds me that if we truly face the challenges head-on, with a selfless purpose, God can be honored and we will receive life...and more life (eternal life).


Today, may you look to the prosperity of God, face challenges head-on, and see those tiny little relics as reminders of the goodness of our Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment