Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent: Open Hands and Open Heart

We just returned from our youth ministry winter retreat. Our topic was “It’s not about me.” The theme continues when we talk about the upcoming Lent season. This 40 day season is not about us but about a reconnection and spiritual longing for God. This is a great time to allow God to enter in to our lives in a unique way.


Are you willing to give God a chance? Are you open to allowing God to actively enter in to your life for 40 days? We say yes and our hands are out, but sometimes they aren’t open. I believe in order to make Lent a season of true connection, we must have open hands and open hearts, allowing God to enter into the busy worlds.


“I’m so excited to give up chocolate for Lent, maybe I’ll lose a few pounds.”

“We’re going to add family time as our Lent discipline this year.”

“I’m going to monitor my television time, so that I can do a few projects around the house with my extra time.”


I’ve heard these comments about what people are “giving up” for Lent. It’s important that our intentions are pure to remember “it’s not about me.” If we are truly willing to allow God to transform us during this Lent season, we must be willing to ask Him the question “What am I willing to give up and/or add for the next 40 days so that I can grow closer to you, God?


So, this season, we pray you truly thirst for God that your hands and heart is open to allowing Him to enter in. Picking a discipline and sticking to it is difficult. Here are some tips. Join us this Sunday at the X Service and write your discipline on our design element as a reminder to yourself and to encourage others as we are in this season together.


How to choose a Lent discipline:

--What are the first few things that came to mind? Write these down. Is there something that you could give up for 40 days in order to have a “thirst for God” rather than a “thirst for this item?”


--What is something that will lift up Jesus... and not ourselves? What is God serving not self-serving that you could sacrifice as a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made for us?


--Pray and ask God to show you a way to be disciplined to spend time with God.


How to make the discipline worth it:

--I personally believe Lent is a time not just to give up something, but to add something in it’s place. That “something” should include:

-- Time for prayer (conversation with God)

-- Reading a devotional or spending time in Scripture


--Accountability: Tell someone who shares the same values about your discipline. Ask them to hold you accountable. And talk about it with them. They might be able to share some insight!


--Attend worship services each Sunday, using it as anchor and refocus to what you’ve been doing throughout the week with your discipline.


--Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you miss a day or mess up, just start over fresh the next day.


With our hands and heart open, I know God will enter in. Be open to hearing his voice, to remembering his sacrifice, and to truly honor and worship Him in the way we live these next 40 days.


What are you giving up and adding this Lent season? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

I’ll be blogging about my Lent discipline, stay tuned!


Don’t forget, tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. Mark the start of your Lent discipline by going to the 7pm service.


Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment