Recently I was asked to be a music critic and contribute my top 10 albums and top 10 songs of 2009 to Under The Radar radio. (www.radarradio.net). So, here's my choices.
My top 10 albums and songs of 2009.
Overall, the key word in 2009 was “hope.” It’s not without notice that many of the albums and songs on my list made their way to the top because this year we’ve needed to be reminded of God’s hope.
Top 10 Albums of 2009
1. Needtobreathe “The Outsiders”
There is no way that you’ve lived through 2009 without listening to “The Outsiders”. It’s the top of my list for a reason. It’s not just music, it’s an experience. You want to hold on to the lyrics, hug them, and never let go.
2. Jars of Clay “The Long Fall Back to Earth”
I’ve had my share of criticism for Jars in the past but this album is fresh. It seems that the band reinvents themselves with each album, and I hope this version sticks around. More grown up and having some life perspective, Jars has put together an album that tops my list of all of Jars’ previous work.
3. David Crowder Band “Church Music”
After the first time hearing “Church Music,” I sent a text to several friends: “We will no longer be friends if you do NOT pick up Church Music.” And I was serious. It’s as if DC*B has a pulse on my heart, on my relationship with God, and knows the words that I want to worship with. DC*B put hours and hours of time on this album and the payoff is worth it. Many people are not a fan of this album, but I think it’s genius.
4. Abandon “Searchlights”
A brand new band that is just starting to get noticed, “Searchlights” is a masterpiece. For their debut album, I’m not sure where they can go from here. The lyrics speak truth to this generation,and their love for God and desire for people to know His Hope, is the common thread in each song.
5. Lanae Hale “Back and Forth”
Here’s a cd for all the girls. I came across this album and it immediately became my coffee shop mix. It’s a cd for those days when you just need a song to define your emotions and thoughts. “Quiet Place” should top your ‘need some time with God’ playlist.
6. The Fray “The Fray”
Every time I listen to the self-titled release from The Fray, I learn something new. Somedays I have no idea what the lyrics mean, and other days they define me. While it may not be as good as their first release, this album is underrated and gets lost in the mix. Listen as if you never knew “How to Save a Life” ever got released, then it will make your top 10 too.
7. Switchfoot “Hello Hurricane”
As with all previous Switchfoot albums, “Hello Hurricane” requires you a few listens before you fall in love. But there comes a point about the third or fourth time through that hooks you. Jon Foreman and the Switchfoot crew brings hope through music and I’m in love.
8.Owl City “Ocean Eyes”
There is no doubt that 2009 was a very good year for Adam Young. I’m one of those annoying people that reminds all the teens that Owl City was cool before they hit number one on iTunes. I’m also the one to remind them that Adam Young is a Christian. While others may criticize his “everyday” lyrics of life, I’m refreshed to know that we don’t always have to sing about God and still love Him.
9. Skillet “Awake”
There are only a few cds that I don’t care if people hear me sing along to in my car. Skillet’s “Awake” is one of those. It begs to be played loud. It begs for you to sing at the top of your lungs with passion. Skillet makes things like guy-liner cool for any teen guy and being a girl drummer a possibility. “Awake” is encouraging. It’s filled with hope. It requires you to see Skillet live.
10. Fiction Family “Fiction Family”
From the collaboration of Sean Watkins and Jon Foreman comes an album of grassroots proportions. I am in love with this album because it’s refreshing and fun while at the same time being deep and spiritual. Watkins and Foreman have a way of taking their hearts and burdens and giving us a musical hopefulness to life.
Top 10 Songs of 2009
1. “Anchor” by Satellites and Sirens
Friends, faith, and hope anchor us down. “Anchor” can be a worship song. “Anchor” can be a song dedicated to friends. It’s one of those songs that reminds you of the things that really matter in life. Satellites and Sirens is a band to watch for in 2010. “Anchor” along with their other songs gets us all dancing and thinking about life and relationships.
2. “How He Loves” by David Crowder Band
In my narcissistic world, sometimes I just need to be reminded that God loves me. And that if ‘his grace is an ocean, we’d all drown.’
3. “Hold On” by Abandon
As a youth pastor, this is my plea for students. I share the hope that Abandon does in this song about holding on in life, on keeping hope the thing that keeps us alive.
4. “Hope Now” by Addison Road
Hope is the buzzword this year in Christian music. “Hope Now” makes my list because of the message. It the current state of the economy, this song reminds us of what really matters. It’s my prayer for our people.
5. “God of this City” by Bluetree
While good things are happening in our churches, in our communities, there is still more to be done and this song is a reminder and prayer for God to continue to move in our cities.
6. “Backfire” by MuteMath
You can’t get away from a top 10 list without mentioning MuteMath. My personal favorite off of the new “Armistice” album is “Backfire.” It’s fun, funky, and true MuteMath.
7. “Scenic Route” by Jars of Clay
This is a personal favorite of mine. I did a lot of traveling this past summer with friends, co-workers, students, and a retreat with just me and God. “Scenic Route” was my theme song. It’s about relationships and taking the scenic route in making things work. I found that while traveling, I was doing a lot of relationship building, fixing, and creating.
8. “Miracle” by Robbie Seay Band
“Miracle” is a refreshing new song by Robbie Seay lifts the spirits and reminds us of keeping hope alive that God can move. The Robbie Seay Band pens lyrics that you just have to write in your journal. “When life doesn’t seem to make sense at all, I know You hear me when I call.”
9. “Something Beautiful” Needtobreathe
This summer I made it to the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the mountaintops, and the woods. “Something Beautiful” sums up the places God met me in the world. Each of those places reminded me that God is something beautiful, that he is showing his glory, and this song has been my prayer.
10. “Dance or Die” by Family Force 5
Family Force 5 is my weakness. I absolutely love this crew of crazy guys and their catchy songs. “Dance or Die” is my default song. Whenever I need something playing in the background, this one’s it. You can’t help but dance as you put your laundry away.
Nice lists. I haven't heard 95% of that stuff (of course I don't listen to much mainstream Christian...), but I did buy Church Music after you said how good it was, and I really dig it!
ReplyDelete