“Stories have power. They delight, enchant, touch, teach, recall, inspire, motivate, and challenge. They help us understand. They imprint a picture in our minds. Consequently, stories often pack more punch than sermons Jesus knew it. he called his stories parables.” --Janet Litherland
“Stories are the currency of human contact.” --Robert McKee
This past Wednesday I had the incredible opportunity to attend a conference called “Story.” Speakers included Ed Young, Donald Miller, Chris Seay, Nancy Beach, John Ortberg, Dave Gibbons, Mike Foster, and Stacy Spencer.
The purpose of the day was to recreate the telling of the gospel in new ways through the art of storytelling. Since I’ve been speaking more frequently and doing more writing, I thought for sure this would be a great opportunity to hear about the retelling of the gospel through story.
It was an incredible blessing for sure. I was able to go to this conference for free and learn a ridiculous amount of things that I will be processing for quite some time. I’ve included some of the great quotes from the day. I am encouraged, refreshed, and inspired as I learn how to better tell God’s story to others.
Ed Young:
Are we reaching people or herding ‘sheeple’? (in our attempts to bring the gospel to people-its about rescuing them one at a time).
Church work is “bruitiful.” Both brutal and beautiful.
How the story of gospel works through people--change, conflict, growth.
Dave Gibbons:
We all have a desire to connect. (our stories connect us)
The Holy Spirit is revealed in our weakness. There is liberation in our weakness-the Holy Spirit can start to move.
Ministry is not when you speak a story but when you listen to a story.
The revelation of brokenness reveals the Holy Spirit.
Chris Seay:
Our past affects our stories. Our family’s stories affect our story whether we want them to or not.
Facts will not save us--people don’t know the story of the gospel.
Thrive on mission, wither on proposition.
This yoke that I carry was created for me.
When we put on a yoke, we come to life.
We are tired because we are doing things the wrong way.
John Ortberg:
We live in a “Me” centered world. We try so hard to get others to listen to MY story.
We are part of a bigger story--that’s what our life are meant to be.
Shalom means- where things are the way God wants them to be.
Preaching the gospel means-speaking the truth the way things are.
Nancy Beach:
Is what we are doing (in preaching the gospel) truthfully and beautifully honoring to God?
Our purpose is to make audible the silence of the gospel.
Stacy Spencer:
Quoting someone else-- “No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.”
Everybody has a story.....are we listening?
Tell a story so it doesn’t sound like a sermon.
Mike Foster:
We identify with failures and celebrate with successes.
What is our “struggle of now?”
Put our canvas of brokenness in front of God.
Donald Miller:
Success doesn’t tell a very compelling story.
Character is ONLY what the DO.
A character has to WANT something: it makes a good story.
No comments:
Post a Comment