Saturday, March 14, 2009

How to build a great fire: Keep the fire burning for Christ

This past week our youth team took a short retreat. We were happy to see a fireplace, and before we had completely unpacked, Adrienne stood with match in hand. I sat on the couch to watch this potential trainwreck, but Adrienne is a beast at making and maintaining fires. The only problem... she kept having to add more wood. Through some 10 hours, the fire burned through a ridiculous amount of wood. 


“When wood is really dry, it burns out quickly.” 


And my mind immediately goes to a sermon illustration. 


I’ll let you think through this one. I looked up some facts about how to properly build a great fire that lasts.  


In order to build a great fire: 

  1. You need seasoned wood. For an effective, long lasting burn, use seasoned wood. (Continue to learn and grow in your walk with Christ).
  2. With dry wood, you have to feed the fire more often. (You have to refuel, get away, and reconnect with Christ often, don’t let your walk dry out)
  3. The moisture content of the wood determines how much heat the fire puts out. (let God’s Word soak in).
  4. Non seasoned wood is hard to light. (Stay close to God, the further you get from Him, the harder to reconnect with Him)
  5. Non seasoned wood won’t put out heat. (In order to grow others towards Christ, you need to continue to grow in Christ).
  6. Open the flue, and that will keep the smoke out. (Be sure to share your walk with others, don’t keep it to yourself).
If I spent some more time on this, I could flesh it out in more detail. But I'm moving on to other writing adventures. Please feel free to keep the sermonizing going....
The end. 



No comments:

Post a Comment